Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cherry Juice Or Blood In Stools

Anthony Bourdain

this month with the Daring Cooks , we had to make a cassoulet. And attention, not whatever! That of Anthony Bourdain . This time, the Daring Cook hit the nail with this recipe. I dreamed of eating a stew for a long time. When I went to New York last summer, I wanted to go Les Halles, the restaurant Anthony Bourdain, to eat a stew but I have not had time. This recipe therefore falls just right for me.


Not only we were preparing the cassoulet itself but we also had our confit duck legs ourselves. Besides the duck legs, he had to find a variety of ingredients with which I was more or less familiar since I am not a great cook meat side. For cons, I am fortunate to have a hog butcher near my home. I explained the recipe (with pork cuts in English because I did not have the recipe for French) and he advised me well. So I booked the side (chest) of pork, the bard (he gave me for free!) and a big sausage sausage.

I must confess that during the preparation, I was skeptical. I'm not a fan of beans, starting. In addition, the step of boiling the beans with pork did not smell very good, in my opinion. I kept repeating myself: "I hope I'm not all for nothing, I hope it will be good ...". I thought there was too fat, not that the beans tasted nothing. In short, it was not a good start!

I do not know when the magic happens, but in the case of this dish, the whole is far greater than the sum of its parts. We were four to eat, and everyone agreed: the cassoulet is one of the best dishes in the world. Some are even reused, despite their already too full stomach and liver already saturated fat! My verdict: the duck flies clearly the star in this dish, and so much better. Beans are also quite delicious with their perfectly cooked. However, I found the sausage sandwiched clashed with remaining ingredients. If I were in again, I would use another type of sausage (such as Toulouse), something the milder and more mat. But honestly, if I was rewriting, it might be only with the beans and duck confit ... Yum.


With its array of ingredients, the stew may seem quite expensive at first. Wondering how much it cost me? Let the whole account.

4 duck legs: $ 16
1 jar of duck: $ 4
1 lb pork belly: $ 5
Bard Pork Free
1 small bag of beans: a $ 2 sausage sandwiched
: $ 10
Remaining ingredients: Negligible

Total: $ 37 for 8 servings of cassoulet, or less than $ 5 per person. At the restaurant: count easily $ 20 per person. If your budget is tight, try to replace the duck with chicken and duck fat in olive oil. It will not be the same, but probably a good substitute.

So here we see the ingredients: beans, meat, meat, meat, fat, fat, fat, and oh! Two poor onions in lieu of vegetables!


8 servings

Duck Legs Confit:

4 duck legs
fresh sea salt in sufficient quantity
1 pound duck
Pepper to taste
4 sprigs thyme 1 sprig rosemary
1 clove garlic


The day before, rub each leg of duck with salt. Place in a dish in the refrigerator and let stand all night, up to 24 hours.

The next day, pat dry the duck legs and place them in a baking dish just the right size to contain them. Add pepper, herbs and garlic. Melt the duck fat and pour over the thighs to cover them.

Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees F for 1 hour until meat comes off the ends of bones. Let cool then refrigerate. Duck legs confit can be stored for several weeks in the refrigerator to be provided completely covered with fat.

Cassoulet:

2 1 / 2 cups white beans
1 pound pork belly
1 medium onion, quartered 1 or 2 rolls
bard of pork (about 1 lb.) - depending on the size of your dish
cooking 1 bouquet garni (bay leaf, parsley, thyme)
Salt and pepper to taste 2 tablespoons
of duck sausage sandwiched
1 (or 3 pork sausages of your choice) 1 large onion

thinly sliced 1 clove
minced garlic 4 duck legs confit

Day 1:

Soak beans overnight in plenty of water.

Day 2:

Drain and rinse beans. Place in a large pot with the pork belly, 60g bard, the quartered onion and bouquet garni. Cover with water, bring to boil and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 hour. Let cool and discard the onion and bouquet garni. Reserve the remaining ingredients including the liquid.

Cooking the beans ... Not very appetizing on the spot ... !

Meanwhile, boil the sausage sandwiched for about 15 minutes. Book.

Cut the pork belly into cubes of 5 cm square. Book.

Cut into 8 sausage sandwiched between strips (cut it in half crosswise, then each of the two pieces into quarters). In a large sauté pan, heat 3 / 4 of the duck and brown the pieces of sausage browned on each side. Book. In the same pan, sauté onions, garlic and reserved pork bard above. Puree with the remaining duck fat. Book.

Line a large earthenware dish (enameled cast iron for me) with the Bard of pork spare (bottom and sides). Then place the ingredients in staggered Beans, sausage sandwiched, beans, pork belly, beans, duck confit, beans, alternating with a small amount of mashed onion between each floor. Add the reserved cooking liquid, just enough to cover everything. In book 1 / 4 cup in the fridge for the next step.


Bake the cassoulet in the oven to 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Reduce heat to 250 ° F and bake another hour. Let cool then refrigerate.

Day 3:

Bake the cassoulet in the oven to 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Break the crust on top and add a little reserved cooking liquid. Collapse temperature to 250 ° F and bake another 15 minutes or until everything is hot. Serve.

NOTE: The cassoulet is a dish that is best reheated. It also freezes very well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment